Monday, August 17, 2009

Remembering Rita



Two years.

Time flies, yet sometimes goes so slow.

On August 17, 2007 my Aunt Rita lost her 12 1/2 month battle with Lung Cancer. She was 52.

I did my best not to fall apart when learning of my aunt's cancer. I remember where I was when I heard. I was on a pay phone, in Germany. THOUSANDS of miles away from family. I walked over to my friend and travel companion after hanging up the phone with my mom for a much needed hug. The health care professional in me KNEW the seriousness of this cancer, the statistics, the horror of it. But as it hit home, the dreamer in me hoped and prayed for a miracle.

And I believe I found it.

It was a MIRACLE that she lasted over 12 months with the seriousness of her diagnosis.

It was a MIRACLE watching my extended family come together to take care of her, whatever the cost, time or money. We learned how to love each other more as well.

It was a MIRACLE to see the amazing job Hospice did when the end was near. Rita was comfortable, they were compassionate.

It was a MIRACLE to witness the throngs of people that came to pay their respects, the LONG line of cars in the procession.

But above all, it is a MIRACLE, a GIFT, an HONOR to be a part of this family and to be permitted to share 28 LONG wonderful years loving on my aunt.

It may never seem like enough, but gosh, I was LUCKY.

Cancer may have ended her earthly life, but I know she won the battle.

I love you Aunt Rita. I miss you every day.

2 comments:

Jaime said...

Judi,

Beautiful post.

I think a lot about how much I would've loved it if Aunt Rita had a chance to know Addison (and vice versa). Rita made me feel like family from day one, even before I was officially family. It's so true that we have been blessed to know her. You're right that it doesn't feel like enough... but the best is yet to come, and we will see her again. (Best family reunion ever!)

Unknown said...

Judi,

Thanks for the great post. I miss her everyday also. So many things I want to tell her or talk over with her. It is good that we have a close family to lean on at these times. Can't wait for the best family reunion ever!

Love you,
Mom