Saturday, February 16, 2008

To SCUBA or not to SCUBA

I've been toying with the idea of becoming SCUBA certified. James and I are going to Fiji for our honeymoon in July, home to some of the best diving in the world. I'd hate to miss out. The trouble is I'd have to do the certification by myself as would James since we are on opposite sides of the country until July.

What does certification require?
- able to swim 200 yards (any stroke, no time limit)
- able to tread water for 10 minutes
- an etutorial session to learn the necessary background info and tips
- 2 afternoons in a pool learning the basic skills and safety measures of SCUBA
- a 2 day open water dive

I'm scared I'll panic underwater. And since I'm not a STRONG swimmer it frightens me. Looks like I'll be heading up to the gym to practice my strokes. The thought of missing out on something amazing in Fiji makes me really want to do it though.

I'm hoping to do this when I get back to Cleveland in April. Here's where I'm looking to go:
http://www.justaddwaterscuba.com/index.html

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think you should go for it Judes. Yes, you may panic underwater, but that's what the certification is for, to give you practice before you get to Fiji. You have accomplished so much in your life, including complicated things, such as taking on the task of being a traveling PT and being able to take on a long distance relationship with James and make it work. I couldn't think of another person who would be strong enough to be able to take on taking scuba lessons. I love you!

Jaime said...

Hey!
I can definitely see why people would panic underwater. Jason and I have a couple friends who SCUBA, and if I remember correctly, they said it actually wasn't claustrophobic... it was just this odd sensation of thinking, "I'm underwater. And I can breathe." And if you go for the lessons, you'll figure out your panic threshold in the presence of well-trained instructors. If you make it through training, James will be there with you in Fiji, which'll be a big comfort, I think. In any case, I think you'll end up going for it. You've conquered mountains already.

Anonymous said...

Judi- You can do this! I'm not certified but I took a dive down in Cancun (there was a certain depth I couldn't go below). I'm not the strongest swimmer either, but you really don't have to be. It's a piece of cake! It was an amazing experience and WHEN are you going to go back to FIJI?!?!?!

Tiff said...

Hey thanks for the comment! I added your blog as well!

You should totally do this - my sister and BIL dive and she is not a strong swimmer at all, but they love it!